Welcome to dbForumz.com!
FAQFAQ    SearchSearch      ProfileProfile    Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in

NS adding its own subscribers?

 
   Database Forums (Home) -> Notification Services RSS
Next:  Newbie question: Insert (not very) big XML docume..  
Author Message
Andy

External


Since: Jan 16, 2007
Posts: 41



(Msg. 1) Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:32 pm
Post subject: NS adding its own subscribers?
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>sqlserver>notificationsvcs (more info?)

Hi,

My database has a flag that indicates if our customers would like to
receive notifications. Currently, our sales staff manages
subscriptions on behalf of our customers. The settings for all
customers is the same, so its only a matter of enabling or disabling a
subscription (or creating if it doesn't exist).

Currently, my application uses the NS API to update subscriber and
subscription information behind the scenes. The problem is that I
must deploy the NS client API to all users of my application and
register the instance on each workstation.

I was thinking that I could use NS to automatically update these
settings, maybe once a day by tracking the flag as it changes.

My question is, would this be a viable way to go, or am I twisting the
purpose of NS too much?

Thanks
Andy

 >> Stay informed about: NS adding its own subscribers? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Andy

External


Since: Jan 16, 2007
Posts: 41



(Msg. 2) Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:35 pm
Post subject: Re: NS adding its own subscribers? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Mar 26, 1:32 pm, "Andy" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My database has a flag that indicates if our customers would like to
> receive notifications. Currently, our sales staff manages
> subscriptions on behalf of our customers. The settings for all
> customers is the same, so its only a matter of enabling or disabling a
> subscription (or creating if it doesn't exist).
>
> Currently, my application uses the NS API to update subscriber and
> subscription information behind the scenes. The problem is that I
> must deploy the NS client API to all users of my application and
> register the instance on each workstation.
>
> I was thinking that I could use NS to automatically update these
> settings, maybe once a day by tracking the flag as it changes.
>
> My question is, would this be a viable way to go, or am I twisting the
> purpose of NS too much?
>
> Thanks
> Andy

I should also add that I will need NS to send an email regarding
changes as well to another employee here.

 >> Stay informed about: NS adding its own subscribers? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Joe Webb1

External


Since: Apr 28, 2004
Posts: 408



(Msg. 3) Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:17 am
Post subject: Re: NS adding its own subscribers? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 10:35:41 -0700, Andy wrote:

> On Mar 26, 1:32 pm, "Andy" wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My database has a flag that indicates if our customers would like to
>> receive notifications. Currently, our sales staff manages
>> subscriptions on behalf of our customers. The settings for all
>> customers is the same, so its only a matter of enabling or disabling a
>> subscription (or creating if it doesn't exist).
>>
>> Currently, my application uses the NS API to update subscriber and
>> subscription information behind the scenes. The problem is that I
>> must deploy the NS client API to all users of my application and
>> register the instance on each workstation.
>>
>> I was thinking that I could use NS to automatically update these
>> settings, maybe once a day by tracking the flag as it changes.
>>
>> My question is, would this be a viable way to go, or am I twisting the
>> purpose of NS too much?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Andy
>
> I should also add that I will need NS to send an email regarding
> changes as well to another employee here.

Hi Andy -

You could create a web service wrapper for the NS API. Have the web
service run on the server that NS runs on. The clients could employ the
web service to manage the subscriptions. So, you wouldn't need to install
the NS client API on each workstation.

You could probably also create the web service so that it also manages the
other settings you've mentioned.

HTH...

Joe


--
Joe Webb
SQL Server MVP
http://www.sqlns.com
 >> Stay informed about: NS adding its own subscribers? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Andy

External


Since: Jan 16, 2007
Posts: 41



(Msg. 4) Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:32 pm
Post subject: Re: NS adding its own subscribers? [Login to view extended thread Info.]
Archived from groups: per prev. post (more info?)

On Mar 27, 7:17 am, Joe Webb wrote:
> You could create a web service wrapper for the NS API. Have the web
> service run on the server that NS runs on. The clients could employ the
> web service to manage the subscriptions. So, you wouldn't need to install
> the NS client API on each workstation.
>
> You could probably also create the web service so that it also manages the
> other settings you've mentioned.

Hey Joe,

Thanks, I actually thought of that, but I was hoping to devise another
way so that the client doesn't need to do anything other than update
the data. Part of my reason for doing this is to make the save on the
client quicker; the NS API is currently slowing things down because
its promoting my transaction to DTC. A web service may be quicker,
but there's a chance that the update call will fail for some reason
(we sometimes have network hiccups). If that happens, the save will
succeed, but the subscription won't be added.

My other reason is that I currently have two different places in the
application where I need to add a subscriber. Moving forward, there
may be more. While I've re-factored the code, I still have to
remember to include the call (which I almost forgot, actually).

Andy
 >> Stay informed about: NS adding its own subscribers? 
Back to top
Login to vote
Display posts from previous:   
Related Topics:
Scheduled Rule not adding rows to Chronicle Table - I am building an app using Shyam Pather's book as a reference. I set up my Scheduled Subscription Processing Times chronicle table no problem. At the beginning of the <ScheduledRule> <Action>, the T-SQL is supposed to insert a record into...

NS API Question - Is it possible to have an arseembly in SQL 2005 to expose the NS API? The idea is to have interfaces exposed as web services from SQL 2005 directly that allow for the management of NS subscriptions. This would allow the existing ASP.Net 1.1 code to cal...

Clean out??? - I was asked to look into a problem a customer was having , Turned out they moved SMTP server and in the process the generator got disabled. This was back in May. So I have that all squared away and now I'm looking for a quick way to clear out the..

sql mail integration - i have configured sql mail in sql server 2000. the mailid is also successfully getting tested. but when i execute the xp_sendmail command i get the following error Server: Msg 18025, Level 16, State 1, Line 0 xp_sendmail: failed with mail error..

SMTP To Name - My messages are going through successfully via SMTP, but the To field does not show the email address of the person. If you look at the SMTP message with notepad you see X-Receiver: <email address>, but there is not a To: field declared. Is thi...
   Database Forums (Home) -> Notification Services All times are: Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Page 1 of 1

 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You can delete your posts in this forum
You can vote in polls in this forum



[ Contact us | Terms of Service/Privacy Policy ]